MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bellator Fighting Championship signs Mikey Gomez




Written by Penny Buffington

BJJ black belt Mikey Gomez, Florida’s number one unsigned mixed artist, packed up and moved from Florida out to Cerritos, Ca. to train at Gracie Barra Cerritos, with head instructor, Renato “Babalu” Sobral, last January. Now he has signed a 4 fight contract with Bellator Fighting Championships. Mikey will fight his first fight on his contract Fri April 10th at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut. He will be challenged by Jesse Juarez who has 7 wins 5 losses and trains at Body Shop Fitness Inc. in Lakewood, CA.


The 25 year old says the move was to further his experience in the craft of mixed martial arts explaining, “I figured here would be a great place to be. I’m training with a variety of sparring partners and it really upped my training a lot after I moved here.
Everything is going great”

Mikey is a welterweight. He has 9 wins and 5 losses on his mixed martial arts record and he is the current Cage Warriors USA champion. Bellator scouts took notice after Mikey submitted Lorenzo Borgomeo at EliteXC’s final event.


The fight is on the under card but we can expect it to be very exciting. Out of 14 fights Mr. Gomez has only gone into the 3rd round 1 time. He tells me, “I really always go for the finish whether it is a knock out or submission. I believe that is what people want to see. They want to see the person going after the fight and trying to finish it.


Bellator is the Latin word for ‘warrior’. The show will air 12 two-hour events in its premiere season, broadcast weekly on ESPN Desportes in a primetime Saturday night slot. The events take place live Friday nights.


Mikey isn’t about to pussy foot around. When I asked him who he would like to fight he answered, “I want to fight the best so who ever Bellator has but…maybe one day George St. Pierre.” He went on to explain, “I believe he is a great athlete. Hopefully it is not true the whole thing about him ‘greasing’ because that would be week but not thinking about that aspect I think he is a great athlete and ambassador for the sport.


Ending the interview Mikey said, “I always bring the fight and I’m in there to fight so I hope everybody always loves watching it.
” He also thanked his sponsors and invited everyone to hit him up on his web site or MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/paraguaio>> & http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3Lm1pa2V5Z29tZXouY29tLw==">http://www.mikeygomez.com/>>

No comments: