MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ben Saunders Interview




How did you get the nickname "Berserk"?


Well Berserk was one of my first nicknames. It was based off of one of my favorite Animes. My friends called me it cause I was always laid back and relaxed in my fights but if I got hit a few times or angry they said I would go "berserk". Ha-ha. But my nickname is now "Killa B" which came from a situation that occurred on the street a few years ago. I smile a lot mainly because I am very confident and believe in myself and know what I am capable of. It has gotten me in to a lot of trouble at times. I just think anger and intimidation is over rated. Yeah, I can get loud and in your face to try and scare you in to backing down. But I don't look for nor do I try to start trouble. What usually happens is they take my calm laid back personality as weakness. People that try to get loud and intimidate me leads to just a bigger smile on my face. This happens to make people attack me or throw the first punch much more than if I got loud angry and in their face. I guess they get the vibe that I think they are a joke, as I usually do. LOL Well anyways this is one situation out of many where my smile agitated someone to the point where they decided to swing on me. I defended and countered this attack with a number of strikes. The next day at the academy my friend and teammate that was with me for the incident started telling the story to others. In his explanation he chose to say "Ben hit him with some Bee Stingers". That in combination with my love for Rap/Hip Hop music including Wu-Tang Clan (Which by the way their album "Enter the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers" is one of my all time favorite CD's.) So long story short they started calling me "Killa B". =)


I've read about your feelings about Matt Hughes as a coach and that he "beats his team down." What do you think of Matt Hughes as a fighter? Do you think he's finished?


I don't know how he coaches or instructs at his academy. I just know from what I saw, word of mouth, and my experience on the show. He is pretty close minded and contradicts everything that I believe. I am a huge Bruce Lee fan. I have always agreed with his philosophies in keeping an open mind and being a student of the martial arts till I die. Forever improving my skills and bettering myself as a fighter, instructor and human being. No one can know every technique or be a "MASTER" of the martial arts in my opinion. There is way too much knowledge in this world, all we can ever hope to achieve is to know as much as possible and continue to learn and grow. He seems to believe that his way is "the" way. I've heard him say, "What I've done has got me where I am and I see no reason to change." Well it worked for him in the past because our sport was so new and un-evolved. But times have changed and he seems to be living in the past. I believe his career could have gone on much longer and the potential for him to become and a champ again were very possible as he has the tools. But he never seemed to work hard on his flaws. I personally feel if you have accomplished what he has and been champ as long as he was that he would have developed the striking ability of a Pro Boxer or Kickboxer. But he didn't and in my opinion that is just ridiculous. He either didn't take this sport seriously or maybe he didn't care to do so cause he felt once his run was over he would retire. Maybe he doesn't really care, or maybe he regrets his choice and it will eat away at him for the rest of his life wondering how great he really could have been. Either way it seems to be his choice or his close minded attitude that was his undoing.


You damn near defeated Tommy Speer when you were sick. Would you ever take a fight again if you were really sick?


HAHA No way in hell! At least not as sick as I was. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever done. But it was the opportunity of a life time and the fight was not going to be counted on my pro record. Normally I think about everything I plan on doing to my opponent never thinking twice about losing or what my opponent might do to me. This was the 1st time I was really worried and all I could think about was how crappy I felt and how "out of the game my" head was. But sick or not I had the ability to win. I was actually smiling and laughing about it before, during, and after the fight. I was just like this is the craziest thing I've ever done. I am proving to myself that I am literally out of my mind. It was the only way to hype myself up. A lot of people don't understand that I was literarily bed sick not just a little sick. But I doped myself up enough to get up. The show is called TUF for a reason. It is made to break you physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The show tried to break me down and it got to me physically but nothing will ever break my spirit. I am a fighter and this is what I do but if I had the choice I wouldn't have fought. But I didn't so I sucked it up and did what needed to be done for me and my career. I don't regret my decision to fight as I felt I went out like a warrior instead of just throwing in the towel. It also gave me the opportunity to stay with the UFC which now gives me the chance to prove to the world that I belong there.


Without giving away any of your training secrets, can you describe for me what your training is like leading up to UFC 87?


This fight is gonna be about 9 months since my last fight. I believe I have improved tremendously in every aspect of the sport. My striking, wrestling, and BJJ are improving at a rapid pace. I am comfortable wherever the fight may go. I have yet to show everyone my top game on the ground and maybe we'll see it August 9th. I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to fight for the UFC and compete against the best in the world. I can't wait to get back in the cage and test myself; it has been way too long.




I've heard that you aren't worried about Jared Rollins because "he lost to George Sotiropoulos, and he lost to War Machine (John Koppenhaver)". Is there any chance that you may be underestimating him or are you pretty confident that you're going to walk through him?


I believe Jared is a very tough guy. I don't think anyone should be underestimated, especially at this point in my career and at this level. Everyone is dangerous, and there are so many things that can happen in the MMA fight game. I won't lie that I am hoping I beat him quickly and in an impressive fashion. But I always look at every fight as a potential addition to my highlight reel. I feel I am more well-rounded and my height and reach advantage will be a huge problem for him. Trust me, I am not looking past him, I am completely focused on the task at hand and that is fighting Jared Rollins. He has 2 losses in a row and knows how important this fight is for him and his career. I know he is gonna be coming to fight.


How important is it for you to put a good fight on for the fans?


I feel putting on a good show is just as important as winning. Not all fighters understand this but it's true. I don't have that many pro fights under me but one thing's for sure, I always come to fight. Most of my fights have been considered fight of the night. My fight with Barrera on episode 6 was the most watched episode of the season. I am also coming off what I consider to be one of the worst and most boring fights of my career from the TUF 6 Finale. It is hard to finish someone whose only purpose is to hold on for dear life and try to survive. I didn't have a mark on me after 3 rounds. That fight really pissed me off which I expressed my disgust once the final round ended. I wanted to put on a show and he just wanted to try and lay and pray a victory. To me he looked like a coward. Grant it, I stayed active not allowing him to do anything but still, that performance made me sick. It's been eating away at me for 9 months now and I finally get the chance to put it in the past. I am excited to fight Jared because he looks like a game opponent. I'm hoping he comes to fight and not just try to lay and pray a decision. I believe we are gonna put on a show for Dana, the fans, and the UFC.


Knowing there are so many guys waiting for their shot, do you feel any added pressure fighting for the UFC? If so, how do you deal with that?


The UFC is the biggest MMA organization in the world. It is an honor and a Goal (Not "Dream" as Dreams are thought to be fantasy or unachievable) come true to be fighting for them. I don't really feel any added pressure fighting in the UFC. I have been training with UFC, Pride, and K-1 veterans since 2001. I have given up everything to make it where I am today, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I know what I am capable of and have yet to even show a fraction of it. Fighting for the UFC isn't all I want. What I want is to keep winning and eventually fight for and win that belt. Even then my goal is to continuously defend it in the attempt to become one of the pound for pound best fighters in the world if not in the history of this sport. =)


What is the hardest part about MMA for you? Is it dieting, cutting weight, doing cardio?


No lie the hardest thing about being an MMA fighter is finances. We don't get paid very well at all. Until I was on TUF I had to work a full time job while training full time, fighting only when I could. All that lack of sleep and recovery time while struggling from paycheck to paycheck is one of the most stressful and without a doubt hardest parts of MMA. I am blessed to be fighting for the UFC which gives me the opportunity to fight full time now. This is a very good time to be an MMA fighter as the sport is blowing up. I'd have to say second in line would be dieting and cutting my weight as I am a very big welterweight. Third is when training for a fight and you reach that point where you're about to break or give up. You suck it up and push that line farther than you ever thought possible. It's hell while doing it but damn, you feel unbelievable after. Knowing that all this training, blood, sweat, and tears are gonna help me achieve my ultimate goal. There is nothing more exhilarating than destroying my opponent while putting on a great show utilizing my deadly skills in a civilized manner. Hahaha




If there was one thing that you could improve about your fight game, what would it be?


I would improve everything! I will continue to get better in every aspect of this sport. I love martial arts and will continue to improve and learn till the day I die. I feel I am very well rounded having good stand up, good takedown defense, good takedowns, good clinch, good submissions, basically I am comfortable everywhere and feel I can win the fight from any position. I feel no matter what my opponent does where they bring the fight or where I want the fight to be I can do it and win. Whatever it takes! I am a true mixed martial artist. Jeet Kune Do Concepts all the way!


I've heard that a lot of guys get nervous and even have stomach issues before a fight. Do you get nervous before a fight and, if so, is it worse when you have to fight in the Octagon in front of a lot of people?


Everyone gets somewhat nervous or butterflies in their stomach. It just means you are aware of what is to come and your body is getting prepared. It's all about how you channel it though. I am a very rare breed as I actually get really excited. I love to fight and love to test myself. I don't mind getting hit at all, I somewhat enjoy it. I don't enjoy the actual destruction it does to my body, but it gets me more amped. I fight to challenge and test myself if I get hit with a good shot or combination; it lets me know that I am fighting someone with skill. The tougher the fighter/fight the more I enjoy it. I love to go to WAR and I know the crowd does to. I actually imagine everything I am gonna do to my opponents and it brings a smile to my face. My friends all call it my "sadistic smile". I imagine kicking my opponent in the head as hard as I can with my shin and it really gets me excited. I think about all the things I get to do without shin guards or protective equipment. I think about how I don't have to hold back at all, which I don't get to do in training or sparring. I wish I could fight like that every week like all these other sports in the world (for example football, basketball, etc.). But in our sport we can't so the select few times I get to actually compete a year are without a doubt the best times of my life. Nerves? I'm not there because I have to be, I'm there cause I wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the world! =)





What are your future goals in MMA and the UFC? Where do you want your career to take you in the next few years?


I don't care about fame and fortune. All I am looking for is a lifestyle that is comfortable and with the least amount of stress and drama. It's unfortunate that all 4 of those coexist with my ultimate goals but I feel there are ways to make it all work out. I just want to be able to fully concentrate on my training and career because to me that's all that matters. I am looking to test myself with the best in the world. I don't believe anyone can actually achieve the title "Best in the World". But it is my goal to come as close to that as possible in the amount of time my life allows.


Is there any one that you'd like to give a shout out to?


I want to thank all my friends and family who have supported me in my struggle to achieve these goals. I want to thank American Top Team, Dan Lambert, Ricardo Liborio, Paul Rodriguez, Bobby Robare, and all my teammates and training partners for helping me get to where I am. I want to thank Bruce Lee and his philosophies; if it wasn't for him god knows how far behind I would be in this sport, and in martial arts/self-defense. Jeet Kune Do Concepts all the way! I want to thank my Chiropractor Dr. Greg Rodriguez for cracking me back in to shape. I want to thank TAPOUT for becoming my new sponsor. I want to thank the UFC for giving even more purpose to my life. I decided at age 10 when I saw the first UFC back in 1993 that this is what I wanted to do. Before that it was just train, study martial arts, open up my own school, and instruct. The UFC allows me to test my skills in a safe and legal environment, what more could I ask for? =)


Ben, thanks very much for your time. I enjoyed watching you fight and I'm looking forward to seeing you kick ass again in the near future!


by JP Berube of MMA-Underground.com


Photos courtesty of Ben Saunders







No comments: