MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Amateur-ville Horror comes To Amityville (Detroit)




by JP Berube of MMA-Underground.com


In an historic event, one MMA-Underground writer is fighting at another MMA-Underground writer's event! MMA-Underground is a site run by MMA writers, fans, fighters, and promoters, so it was just a matter of time before a mind-blowing event like this happened for the site.


Joshua E. Ottley has been writing MMA blogs for MMA-Underground.com, CombatWire.com, and the LA Times. Joshua will make his amateur debut in a matter of days. Joshua calls himself the "Saxon Battle Axe". He is self trained in the arts of Thai boxing, freestyle submissions as well as Greco-Roman Wrestling, which he calls Hybrid Vale Tudo; which is more of a mixed up style of Vale Tudo, always having been widely considered to be a mix of Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (standing for anything goes in the Brazilian dialect of Portugeuse).


JP: Joshua, how long have you been obsessed with all things MMA?


Joshua: I wouldn't say it was an obsession until around the time that the sport began to make it's resurgence from its obscure hiatus, if you will; in the earlier part of this decade. Having only basic cable, I watched Spike TV and The Ultimate Fighter show, and I saw how much the sport had progressed since its brutal beginnings. I had always appreciated for Royce Gracie and his family’s opinions about not hurting adversaries unnecessarily; although at times it was hard to stomach for a young lad of my age then, as I'm sure most die hard fans would agree. It was at the time of this previously stated resurgence that I realized how much more the sport of MMA had to offer than my lifelong love, as well as the extremely one dimensional style of American Boxing! I was hooked and began watching every move as attentively as a young adult with A.D.D. could.


JP: What made you decide to finally step into the ring?



Joshua: I had always wanted to get into the Boxing ring as a teen, but always seemed to lack the confidence, on top of being sidetracked by my own rebellious nature against everything at that time. When I began self-training in MMA I knew it would always be a GREAT way to release my anger in better ways than just fighting in the streets as well as a way to become a truly disciplined athlete, given due time. I had found a new confidence in my overall abilities, not just in combat but in life in general. So, I applied this to my training and watched all the greats as well as each and every movement they made on the TV screen. I also was reading a lot of martial arts text books. Although my confidence oozes to the point of near cockiness at present, I always knew I might need some formal training to even be considered to fight. But, through my new found writing endeavors, I met my esteemed colleague Staff Sgt. John Poe. John seemingly saw something in me that he knew he could bank on for his side project (aside from being a Detroit Police Officer) in Combat X Fight League. At that point, as some would say, a star was born!


JP: Now you haven't had any formal or, shall I say, traditional MMA training in a gym have you?


Joshua: I have one lesson in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which was also free! Around here (Leamington, the southernmost tip of Ontario and Canada as a whole) there is nowhere really to train in anything but Karate or Tae Kwon Do; which John doesn't really seem to take very bright shining to I find. The BJJ lessons were in near by Windsor, and only trained a ground game as well as setting up the takedowns with low body attacks, as I was informed. For me this would not do, as I could already train most of this on my own and had it burned into my brain! There was no use for me to drive 45 minutes, 3-4 times a week for stuff that I already knew how to do and, besides that, BJJ is only part of MMA. I did have the opportunity to learn some good defense, which I absorbed like an un-squeezable sponge. I felt it was to my benefit to save the gas money and all funds in general until I could move away to a more suited lo-cal!


JP: Are you nervous at all about your MMA debut?


Joshua: Most people would be, but by Jesus' grace, I am fearless and in control of my own destiny for once in my life! Being my own coach and stuff would seemingly worry most people, but I've done mostly everything for myself in this life and there is a level of trust there that I don't have for any other human being, not yet at least. I already have a great bunch of supporters behind me, and great sponsors who are helping me with fight gear and supplements. I plan to shamelessly plug them at the end of this interview! All these add up to great base under my feet and with my previously stated confidence level, I don't plan to lose!


JP: What do you know about your opponent?


Joshua: I know absolutely nothing. I am training for every possible outcome though. My plan is to hear his style, even if it is at the weigh-ins or even from the announcer himself, and work my game from then on. I am coming to do a job that I've been striving for my whole life! The only things that will worry me is if he's a Judo blackbelt that can throw me around with minimal effort, but even then I'll shoot in and pound him out before he can do the same!


JP: What have you been doing to train for this fight?


Joshua: I've been conditioning like crazy. I used to do a lot of rip workouts and stuff just to make myself look better, but now it's mostly all cardio with a few rip workouts a day. Besides that, I’ve been training my Muay Thai for two hours or more every morning. I wake up at dawn, and don't stop until I can't go anymore. I have sparring partners that I train my ground game with 3-4 times a week, and I've been working on my Thai flow immensely inside of all that. My game gets more solid by the day! He won't have much to give me that I can't deal with; this much is certain.


JP: What happens if you lose? Will you fight again?


Joshua: Not that I plan on losing, but of course, I have the pure spirit and heart of a warrior, who likes to keep it on the field of battle, per say. The only way he will make me submit is if I know that one of my limbs is in true jeopardy. I won't drop my hands for him to KO me, and if he lands one or ten, I know from experience that I can take it. I will press forward to the bitter end. So, to answer your question, YES, YES I WILL!


JP: Has being an MMA writer for MMA-Underground helped motivate you to get into the cage?


Joshua: I wouldn't say being a writer motivates me exactly, but the group of people I have to work with are a real boost to my confidence, even though I don't really need it! They are all excellent folks and by doing what we do, we all help each other get farther in life, I feel. Also, meeting John Poe is clearly not even close to a blessing in disguise, but a true gift from my God, I believe. I have always been motivated to this, but like I said, you guys are the best!


JP: Do you have a favorite type of music that you like to put on while training?


Joshua: Personally, I like mostly anything to just chill and listen to, and it kinda works out the same for when I'm training. The stuff I mostly listen to is extremely motivational, doesn't really matter what it is. I'd have to say anything from the Rocky movies, of course. I have a wide array of other stuff though. It just mostly has to be motivating to me, overall. Although, sometimes I just listen to Hardcore, because that movement of music reflects what I've been through in my life through most of its lyrics. Also, sometimes I just rock out to the kind of metal you can't even understand the lyrics too. It just all depends on my mood I guess! On a side note, when I'm done I listen to Enya to relax and regroup.


JP: Are you following any special type of diet to prepare for this fight?


Joshua: I ain't gonna lie, I follow my own version of Mac Danzig vegan diet. He is the reason I became a vegetarian. I always thought it would be detrimental to my protein intake if I stopped eating meat, seeing him on TUF6 was almost like looking into a mirror of my future self, personality wise and I was stoked when I actually met him over the net and he assisted me in my dietary efforts. I love animals and the fact that most other fighters aren't vegetarian gives me some extra motivation to smash in their faces! Although, for now being stuck here in Leamington, I don't have many alternatives in the way of fake eggs, ice cream, pizza and chocolate. I keep the intake of these at a minimum, I don't consume eggs by themselves, and I only drink soy milk. Most of my protein comes from Tofu as well as Avacados, even though they taste like really bland kiwis to me and sometimes kick in my gag reflexes! It's all for a good and justifiable cause to me as a person.


JP: What is your motivation for fighting? Is it the money? Are you doing it for the fans?


Joshua: My motivation as of right now, and as it will be for all time, is to come out to prove that I am more than what people will try to say I am. I am coming to make new fans, but mostly out of my efforts to be a role model for the kids as well as kicking faces in the name of my Lord Jesus! The money is a plus, and we all gotta eat. I do plan to raise a family someday and these are just the things that I have in mind when I train and why I do it so hard. I'm far from greedy and as selfless as they come, but I DO CRAVE THE RESPECT, and Ill receive it through these efforts, or so I hope!


JP: What does the future hold? Are you just doing this for fun, or do you eventually want to fight in one of the big organizations?


Joshua: Of course I want to go big someday! I don't feel that I need to be in the UFC right away, but I will want to make a name for myself, quite thoroughly I might add before I do, when and if it happens! The MMA scene is exploding, and promotions are popping up everywhere. I'll fight in every last one of them, once a week if I have to, just so I can prove my worth as a professional, someday in the near future!


JP: Is there anyone that you would like to thank for making your first fight a reality?


Joshua: I would definitely like to thank Sargeant John Poe of the Detroit Police Department, and the owner, of course, of Combat X Fight League LLC for taking me on what could be called a gamble, by some. I don't plan to disappoint by any stretch of the imagination! Also, I'd like to thank YOU, Jean-Paul Berube! If not for you adding me to your friends list I would not have met John in the first place and I wouldn't be anything more than what I was before then; just a self trained fighter with nothing but hope and true faith in his heart! I'd also like to thank TUF6 winner Mac Danzig for his dietary guidance and former IFL champ Matt "Suave" Horwich for his spiritually uplifting support online, these men are both great role models for our sport and the template for solidifying my future as one myself! Also, I'd like to thank my sponsors who have provided me with all my ring attire which I only had to pay for a groin and mouth guard, actually! They are Kyle Kaiser of Fight-4-Christ MMA and Submission Wear, who also writes with us on MMA-Underground, and is a great man and Christian role model in his own right. Also, Brian "The Hitman" Williams who set me up with IcemanRx, which is Chuck Liddell's supplement company, he is a great man as well. Last but not least, Hans Molenkamp from Triumph*United Visual Propaganda Agency for all of his concern with making me a stylish son of a gun with the duds and trunks he's provided me with! All you guys are AWESOME!! THANKS SO MUCH AND MAD BLESSINGS! Oh, and I can't forget about my Lord through whom all things are possible to those who hold him close to their hearts through even the worst turmoil! - 2 Samuel 22:35/Psalm 140:7


Joshua's Shameless plugs:


www.Fight4ChristMMA.com

www.triumphunited.com

www.IcemanRx.com


JP: Thanks for your time Joshua. I wish you luck in your MMA debut! Make us proud brother!


Joshua: Oh, I'll try more than my best, brother of mine! I can't even seem to find the words to describe what I plan to put forth to represent the MMA-Underground team, and everyone else who has supported me, thus far. I'm STOKED, Thanks so much JP, you're like the dad I never had!


Here is the Flyer to the Combat X event that Joshua is fighting in:






No comments: