MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Interview with Din Thomas

by Donna Knoll of MMA-Underground.com

UFC Veteran, Din Thomas, holds prominent wins over Dokonjonosuke Mishima, Jens Pulver, Matt Serra, Rich Clementi, Clay Guida, and Jeremy Stephens. He is an MMA school owner, fighter, and trainer out of American Top Team in Port St. Lucie, Florida, who was also featured on The Ultimate Fighter 4.

Hi Din, thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

How did you get involved in MMA and why was it the right career choice for you?


I got involved in MMA pretty much the same way everybody else did - watching it on TV. But I got involved back in late 94 before it was cool. Actually it was cool back then, just not mainstream. I'd say it started off cool then it lost its steam for a while until Zuffa picked it up. But even when it had its black eye, I never lost faith in it. I didn't and don't do this to wear cool T-shirts and impress meatheads in a bar. It's the right career choice for me because it allows me the freedom and luxury to do what I like and make money at it. Even if I wasn't making money at this, I'd still be training and be involved in this game. My father always told me, "Do something you love and find a way to make a living at it". I did because I was passionate and determined. Most people lack those qualities.

I'm sure your losses to Kenny Florian and Josh Neer have affected you by making you train even harder and want to come back stronger. In what other ways has it affected you and your career?

Life is ever changing and doesn't move in a straight line. Things happen and the way you react to them determine the reason for why it happened. I never complain about losing or make excuses. I stay positive and try to twist it into my favor. As for now, I moved on from them losses and decided to drop to 145 and see what direction life can take me.

Do you have any plans to return to the UFC or is a drop to 145 a definite?

Immediately after the fight with Josh Neer, I was on my way to the airport and told my manager that I'm going to go down to 145. This has been something that my good friend, Paul Rodriguez was talking to me about for quite some time. He would always say, "man, you cut weight too easy for 155. You should go to 145". But I hate cutting weight. But in this game, you have to be willing to do things that you don't want to in order to achieve what you want. This game is all about sacrifices and chances. The more sacrifices you make and chances you take, the more success you will have.

In either division, lightweight or featherweight, who would you like to fight next?

I have fought the best fighters in the world. I have fought clowns. I don't really care who I fight.

You own a couple of gyms now with American Top Team, right? How is that going? Which do you think is more satisfying, training up and coming fighters or being a fighter yourself?

As of now, I closed one of my schools and consolidated everything into one. Groups are stronger when united. As far as satisfying, it's all a matter of mental state. There is one thing that you should always be satisfying whether you are fighting, coaching, or just a hobbyist, and that is the training. Training should always be satisfying and fun. As a fighter, sometimes it's not fun when you're doing it but when reflected upon it should be fun and satisfying. As a coach it's the easiest way to separate fighters from posers. If a guy says he wants to be a fighter but doesn't find the training rewarding then I know right there that he is a poser. And this game is full of Affliction T-shirt wearing posers. One thing is for sure, that is the most dissatisfying aspect of the game.

You have so many fans and fighters who look up to you. Who do you admire and who has influenced you in your career?

I find inspiration in many different places. Early on in my career, different fighters have influenced me. I'd say Jose Pele Landi, Mach Sakurai, Rumino Sato, Renzo Gracie, and Murilo Bustamante had a major affect on me. As I got older, I found inspiration in other sports figures such as boxers like Roy Jones, Prince Naseem Hamed, Bernard Hopkins or more common athletes like Allen Iverson or Kobe Bryant. It's weird how you can be influenced by different entities if you just watch them. Because today I can watch two seven year olds grapple and say to myself, "I want to be like that".

Who do you feel is the top all around fighter in MMA today?

That is just too difficult to answer. There are so many flavors of the month and everybody seems unbeatable until they get beaten. Everybody has a weakness.

Can you tell me about your acting role in the movie Owned?

We have yet to film so I can't tell you much about it. I will tell you that when we do start I will put as much time into that as I would put into a fight.

How did you prepare for this new role and is acting something you would like to pursue?

Hmmm. I have studied acting a bit. Acting and being in movies or being a superstar are two completely separate things. It is no chief pursuit of mine to be a movie star, but I love to act. Acting is something that can be done anywhere.

Are you watching the current season of The Ultimate Fighter? If so, who do you think is going to come out on top?

I'm afraid to say that I haven;t watched The Ultimate Fighter. After going through that experience, I told myself that I would watch because I would owe it to the guys. But it's like being in jail and telling your cell mate you will write when you get out. You may write once but then you just forget.

What are your thoughts on Rampage and Forrest? Who is the better coach and who do you think will win the fight in July?

As stated, I haven't watched to know who the better coach is. I don't know who will win in July. I have an idea of who may be better but I don't know who will win. This I know from training with the best guys in the world on a regular basis. You can compete 100 times and the outcome will be different each time and the better guy doesn't always win.

Is there anything else you would like to add or tell your fans about?

I just want to tell everybody to be passionate about something and take chances in life. Keep your nose out of other peoples' business and make things happen for yourself. Life it too short to spend time criticizing others and pointing fingers because of your mishaps. Nobody wants to hear you crying about what you don't have. And lastly, never judge a man from your own shoes. I'm out.

Thank you again for taking the time to chat with me. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing you fight again.

Photo courtesy of ATT Port St. Lucie, Florida

1 comment: