MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Interview with Matt Horwich

by Kyle Kaiser of MMA-Underground.com


It's hard to find a fighter these days with more personality then the IFL's Matt "Suave" Horwich. Fighting out of one of the best camps in the world with Matt "the Law" Lindland and Team Quest, Horwich and company are not the kind of people that you want to be in the ring with. With Matt's soft tone, kind demeanor, and strong Christian faith, it would be tough to pick him out of a crowd as a world class, championship caliber fighter. Matt reached the highpoint in his career when he stunned the MMA world by stopping Benji Radach in the second round on 12/29/07 to win the IFL's first Middleweight belt. I had the pleasuring of interviewing the champion which was a dream come true for me. There is no doubt that I'd love to see more fighters follow in his footsteps.

I heard that you are a Christian. How does someone that follows a religion that teaches peace become interested in the sometimes crazy and sport of Mixed Martial Arts?

I want to be a warrior and artist by Jesus' grace like David in the bible. When I was a kid I went back and forth between wanting to be a musician and a martial artist, and now I'm hoping do both. All things are possible to them who believe! I'm working on getting a poetry book, spoken word poetry with a music album together with some good friends. I'm way stoked!

It's obvious that you have some insane cardio! I can't think of a fight that I've seen where you're not constantly pressing the action. What is a typical training day like in the shoes of "Suave"?

I do two or three classes a day usually at Team Quest. On top of weight training twice a week, cardio, running, mit and tai pad work, bag work, jump rope everyday, and I like to do push ups and jumps between rounds to improve my cardio.

Obviously winning the World Grand Prix IFL Middleweight Belt must have been a dream come true. What were your first thoughts when you stunned Radach with that great hook? Did it take a while to sink in?

I was so stoked, thank God for everything! It's a beautiful universe, and we can all do awesome things by God and Jesus and the holy spirits grace and love working through us and the power of the resurrection!

What is your diet like Matt? Do you have any foods that you just can't seem to resist?

I eat a lot of greens. Broccoli, spinach, a lot of almonds, walnuts, pecans, Odwalla Superfoods, juice, avocados, fish, chicken, and turkey. The one junk food I like is Dutchbrothers and Starbucks mochas!

Fight after fight, your striking seems to improve by leaps and bounds. Knowing that you have a great passion for grappling and jiu jitsu, is the game plan still mostly to get your opponent to the ground?

Mostly it depends on how good my opponent's jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and takedown defense, is. I try not to look at any fight the same way.

Thanks so much Matt! You are a huge role model of mine, a great fighter, and a heck of a guy. We need more people like you in the spotlight of this great sport! I wish you all the best in your upcoming fights!

Right on! Thanks so much. I'm glad to have so many awesome friends. I'm really blessed as we all are! It's a beautiful universe by Jesus' grace! God bless.

Photo courtesy of Team Quest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool I love whatching Matt Horwich fight. God is awesome and thanks to Jesus we may live life to the fullest.

-Greg

KatBix08 said...

Graet article, Kyle! Another wonderful read! Keep up the good work!

OttO the S.B.A. said...

SUAVE IS THE REAL CAPTAIN CHARISMA, GOD BLESS U MATT!