MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Riddle Has An Answer. Interview With Matt Riddle

by Joshua E. Ottley of MMA-Underground.com


First and foremost tell me, what does it feel like to be the owner of one of the most gruesomely impressive knockouts in recorded MMA history?

Ha ha, that's funny. I may have had one of the best knockouts on TUF 7 but it hardly is the best in MMA. I am glad I got to put on a good show for Dana & the two coaches.

Well then, at least you know my personal opinion. Did you feel any remorse whatsoever, for causing someone to eat only liquids for a considerable period of time? He wasn't exactly protecting himself properly.

I hate that he had lasting effects along with the loss and I am not glad he got hurt. We all do this for the love of the sport so getting hurt or taking someone out by injury is never fun. Dan is a tough competitor and he will be back.

Let's hope he does, indeed. I couldn't of said it better myself, really. Even though we all know what can happen in the cage, it's just a risk we are all willing to take. Our sport has come a long way and the last thing we need is the general public thinking we are all about barbaric practices. Could you please state the particulars of that fight and win, perhaps with your own brief interpretation and retrospective of the situation?

The K.O. comes as you see it. I followed him down to make sure I was able to finish him. I was taught to never stop until the ref stops you and that is what I did. Post fight they edited to look a little different. I was stoked to win and win like that so I celebrated immediately after. When he started waking up and groaning I knew that was not "normal" so I was very concerned & worried for my fellow competitor.

Who was your favorite member of the cast, among the residents of the house?

CB; he was a good dude and could back up the talk if need be. Brandon Sene and I also got to become good friends too.

Well, from what I know thus far, CB seems like a really cool cat, definitely. Besides the obvious, did you have anyone that you disliked immensely, or perhaps even slightly?

I really don't hate anyone in the house. I thought Cale was pretty lame. He was not able to really come up with anything other than "you are gay" or you are "boyfriends". As if that's hugely insulting, we were in the house with 15 guys, whom else are you going to spend time with?


What was your favorite pastime while being secluded at the house and did you have any generally fond or foul memories of your time there?

I loved hanging out with Rampage and getting to train with the great fighters in the house. A fond memory was when we had the TV Guide crew at the house. I was throwing the medicine ball at the wall and doing no damage at all. Then I gave it to CB and he threw it through the wall and it busted all the way to the outside. We were sitting there with a huge hole in the wall, and this was right after Dana asked us to stop destroying the house.

Oh man, they must've gotten sick of replacing them and just decided to reinforce the walls this time around, for good measure. I could feel bad for Dana's pocketbook, but I don't really. Haha. Do you feel that your time on the show helped you evolve as a fighter, or even grow as a human being in general?

Watching it does, it helps you see yourself in a different light and you can make adjustments.

I never really though about it like that. It gives me something to think about, for sure. Although, I don't really have plans to ever go on the show. How do you feel you are adjusting to your new surroundings and climate? I've actually been wondering how a decrease in altitude would affect one's training, as opposed to say, training in Denver (Home of UFC 1), a mile above sea level. You may give your thoughts on this, as well, if you so desire.

I was from Pennsylvania not Colorado. It has not gotten hot here yet so for me the change is wonderful. The training here in Arizona is maybe the best in the country. Walking into Arizona Combat Sports I was quickly shown how much I have to learn. They have great instructors and a solid team of fighters that train like no others I have seen.


Oh I knew you were from Pennsylvania, bro. I was just pointing out the stark contrast between those two locations. It's been on my mind lately, having watched UFC 1 and even recently when they were in Denver, and observing how the change in altitude affected each individual. I was only wondering what the adverse effect would be like; it's obviously nothing overly drastic, though. So, What's your favorite thing about training with the Arizona Combat Sports team?

The quality of training I get is the best. They give you a lot of one on one time and want to see you improve. They spent three days just working on my hands. They tell me I have a lot of work to do and that I am very green. I am glad to hear it because if I impressed them I knew I was at the wrong gym.

Well it sounds to me like I might have to stop by sometime and check it out for myself. What's your favorite fighting style, besides wrestling which you stated on the show to be your root?

I am a grappler with huge balls and a bigger heart. I want to be known as a striker/wrestler and with the Lally Brothers working on me I am sure that will happen.

Well, it looks like you have an amazing career ahead of you with the level of training you're getting down there and personally I'm glad. I truly look forward to seeing you fight again soon. Did you get your drivers license yet?

No, I have been here and training almost everyday. CB went and got me the paperwork and books to study. We will put it on youtube when it happens. Good thing is the license is for like 50 years so when I get it I am going to be set!

Ha ha, I myself don't have a Canadian beginners license, yet. But, I plan to remedy that, this week sometime. Well, I suppose that's all for now, but as a closing remark I would like to dedicate this interview to all mom's everywhere, but most especially those who drive their license-less, 20 something sons around with a smile, bless your hearts! Also, I would like to extend my offer for you to join me (and CB) in Canada sometime in the near future, when the opportunity becomes available of course, to throw back some strong cold ones that don't taste like total crap. Thanks a bunch bro and all my best to you, your family, and all of your team! Best of luck on the 21st of June; I'll actually be making my Amateur debut the same day, let's kick some ass! Take care!

Thanks! My family has really been a huge support group for me. My mom would drive our here to take me somewhere if I asked her too. I really do love her!

Don't we all, my friend! Don't we all!

Special thanks again to Jason Genet, President of LG Sports Marketing and Salil from Spike TV for all of his great help with photography.

Photos courtesy of:
Josh Hedges, UFC (action shot)
Kevin Lynch, UFC/SpikeTV (portrait work)

No comments: