MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Interview with Joe Camacho before his ShoXC fight on Saturday April 5, 2008 11:30PM ET/PT


Joe, I've heard that you have been into martial arts since you were six years old and I've also heard that you wanted to become a professional skateboarder also. That said, how did you end up with a bachelor's degree in art and design?

Well I mean I've always been into art. My mother always wanted me to stick to the books first, you know, stick to my talent, and stick to what I put my all heart into which was art. Growing up I was always drawing, coloring, entering art contests, and getting scholarships and grants from all over. I won a poster contest from the LAPD, and they gave me a scholarship, going to art school and so forth, so yea I mean art has been a big part of me growing up and that kept me out of the negative surroundings. You know, growing up in East Los Angeles, although I mean, I am from East LA but like I didn't grow up in the bad area of East LA but being that I was raised by a loving family and a loving mother, she kind of guided me in the right direction.

So I guess that kept you out of trouble? Even so, even though you grew up in the good part of East LA, have you ever had to use your fighting skills out in the streets?

Um, yea, I mean growing up I did get into fights because I was defending myself and defending myself from getting my skateboard stolen or bike stolen. You know, you get some thug trying to jump me for my bike or something, I had to fight for it. If he's gonna get it he's going to get hurt going for it. But, then I wasn't into fighting, I didn't take a martial arts structured class then you know, back then I was into the martial arts theatrics, you know the movies, Bruce Lee, Kung Fu Theater, so I've always followed the martial arts in that way because my mother wanted me to be so involved with school and books and sporting events as far as after school activities, you know. She knew that by keeping me in sports it would help improve my grades because she knew that in order for me to stay in sports I would have to have good grades.

Click here to see the full interview

No comments: