MMA Underground

A site for MMA Fans and fighters
by MMA Fans and Fighters.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Interview with Mohammed Lawal

by Bill Smallwood - mma-underground.com staff

What is leading you into MMA?

I have always wanted to do MMA since I watched the early UFCs. When I saw that, I knew it was for me. I even told my boys in High School that I was gonna be a professional fighter. I wanna be an MMA legend. I am an avid student of the fight game.


What are your accomplishments in the MMA realm or related sports?

I am a US World Team Member and National Team member. I have won quite a few tournaments and I'm a two time freestyle national champion. I feel like my wrestling accolades don't real hold much water in MMA due to the fact that I didn't have to worry about submissions, punches, knees, kicks, and elbows. I don't want to be the "typical" lay and pray wrestler people hate to watch.

What leads you to believe you will become an MMA powerhouse?

I am an avid student of MMA. I watch film daily. I wanna be a great fighter. I also wanna be a fighter that is well versed in all areas of the fight game.


Who are your workout partners and where do you train?

I am currently training out of Temecula, California at Team Quest. I've got a great team with me; Dan Hendo, Heath Simms, Ryan and Rachel Parsons, Mayhem Miller, Sokoudjou, Romulo Barral, Alberto Crane, Soa Palielie, Brain Stann, Jesse Taylor, Josh Hall, Mark Bocek, Fernando, Krysoffe, Laurence, Brian Harper, Baby Vini "the team quest playboy", and Brenda.

What aspect of MMA do you focus on more to improve?

I am working on my striking and jiu-jitsu as well as my wrestling. I wanna get stronger in my strengths. And my interviews, LOL!


Do you believe amateur, college, and Olympic wrestlers make the best transition in MMA?

I don't believe that at all. I believe it helps, but I think it is the person's background and personality. If depends on if they are coachable, confident, have good training habits, possess the ability to learn and adapt. There have been many Olympic wrestlers that have been smashed in the MMA game and there have been high school and sub par college wrestlers that have gone on to be MMA stars. Look at GSP, his background was karate; as well as Lyoto Machida.

What is your favorite fight organization out of HD net Fights, Elite XC, Strikeforce, and UFC?

I have no preference. I just wanna be able to fight the best. I don't really care about the fame.

What are the strongest words known to man, you live by.

I am like a God in search of my power. I want to get it by overcoming all obstacles.


How can MMA-Underground and your fans follow your continued success and possibly a live show?

Hit me up on myspace (www.myspace.com/molawal) or go to myspace and search for Ryan Parsons, the greatest MMA coach on the Planet. Or hit up MMA-Underground. I plan on talking to y'all a lot more in the future and I cant forget Eddie Goldman; search for him on myspace.

What is one thing most people do not know about you?

I drink Lightforce Greens, wear ClinchGear and CageFigher. Get you some! I also love old school kung fu flicks and hate to read books....LOL!

Photos courtest of Mohammed Lawal's myspace site

No comments: